Thursday, 10 April 2008

Oh dear, more snow.

This time it is the poor primroses that display how uncomfortable it was. More serious than that is the fact that it was cold enough to upset some of the tomato plants growing in the greenhouse - that threatens dinner which is more serious in my book!

Sudden leap into patchwork. I have been idly chucking hexagon flowers together, with the aim of covering an Ikea summer quilt, which is going threadbare. Comes the realisation that the seasons roll round and I will soon be unable to tolerate the warmth of so much fabric on my lap so it is about time to get a move on.

I have not been working to a plan - patchwork for me is some thing that usually just grows, so there has been a need to lay it out on the quilt it is meant to cover, and see what needs putting where to make the edges meet. Hence the bits of paper pinned on - if you could read them, you would see that I have noted how many patches to straighten that edge.

A couple of posts ago I was praising Croft Mill. Now I have had a leaflet from them to say that the warehouse is closing - they will still have the curtain fabric shop, but all the weird and interesting dressmaking fabrics will be no more - the gent who has been doing it for years wants to retire, and there is nobody to carry on this line of business. Now he has a perfect right to retire, and I wish him all the best for many happy years. That doesn't change the fact that I am going to miss the firm like crazy; the humourous and entertaining leaflets, and the stupendous quality for so few pennies. What I must say, and say loud, is " THANKYOU for all the past business - you've been great!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a shame about Croft Mill! I too had an anorak, and all sorts of other things, made from Croft Mill offcuts, and my mother and grandmother used to read bits of the catalogue out over coffee.

All the good postal fabric suppliers seem to be closing down over the last few years - isn't about time for a dressmaking revival? (not that I *need* a bigger stash, but still...)

Lucy